Saturday, March 28, 2015

Editing in Lit Genius

To me, the Genius website seems to be extremely similar to a wiki except it is solely focused on poetry, lyrics and other forms of literature. Along with this, it has all of the aspects of a summary website such as schmoop. The only difference being that this, like a wiki, is edited and contributed to by its users. I was tasked with editing a newly added poem in the Lit section of the site. First, of course, you must make an account, and then you can edit whatever you want. I went about starting off the description to Mina Loy's "Brancusi's Golden Bird." Having never used the site before, I had no clue where to begin, and the suggestions were much too brief to be useful. I decided to go to another, well edited piece to find out. I gathered the basics quite quickly before I decided what to add. I figured the poem had to be about something extremely precise considering its title and googled it to find out what. As I suspected, it was indeed about a specific item, a sculpture to be precise. Brancusi's "Golden Bird" just like the title said. I added this to the description, gave a brief summary of who Brancusi was and added a picture of the sculpture being described. I then gave a link to the Art institute where the picture was taken along with a link to a Wikipedia page about Brancusi. All in all, the process of contributing is extremely easy, user friendly, and accessible.

Here's Genius.com if you want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment